Transferring An Award

Sponsored research agreements are awarded to the institution and not to the individual investigator. Contact Trudy Bright in OSR ( for assistance in transferring a sponsored agreement from another institution to Georgetown University or from Georgetown University to another institution.

When transferring a sponsored agreement to Georgetown:

  • The awardee (previous institution) must agree to relinquish the sponsored agreement before it can be transferred
  • A new application must be submitted to the sponsor from Georgetown University (GU) that includes all applicable GU rates.

When transferring a sponsored agreement from Georgetown to a new institution:

  • The PI must obtain Department Chair approval
  • Notify the sponsor that the transfer is anticipated (OSR must sign the letter of notification)
  • File all technical reports
  • Notify SPFO so that financial reports can be prepared and unexpended balances or overdrafts can be handled appropriately
  • Report all property to be transferred to Property Accounting including equipment being moved to another GU department.

For additional resources related to award management, visit the SPFO web page on Grant Reporting and Compliance.